MSSC offers a range of resources for students, teachers and organizations. Including GSA development and support, youth rights’ trainings, and cultural competency consulting on LGBTQ issues.
We currently offer trainings to Gay Straight Alliances and other student organizations on the following topics:
- Media Education Training
- GSAs & Justice
- GSA Visions & Values
- LGBTQ youth and the school to prison pipeline
- Anti-racism & racial justice
- Event Planning
- Fundraising for your GSA
- GSA Development
*GSAs are a safe space for queer youth and friends to organize, support each other, and share experience for making their schools and communities safer and more inclusive. If your school has any extra-curricular groups (like sports teams, student government, or other clubs) then you have the right to form a GSA (U.S. Department of Education). If your GSA is already started, MSSC can provide resources and assistance for your events. For help with a GSA, see our Contact Us page or visit our GSA directory.
Could your agency or organization benefit from cultural competency training on issues related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth? Many major funders, including SAMHSA, are now including programming focused on LGBT issues. The Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition can help. MSSC provides in-service trainings for helping professionals . All trainings are specific to your agency’s needs, whether your staff is new to working with LGBT youth or needs more advanced or specific information. Past topics have included:
- An introduction to LGBTQ youth
- Creating Safer Schools for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT) Youth
- LGBTQ youth disparities in substance abuse, homelessness,and juvenile justice
- Issues at the intersections: LGBTQ youth of color
- LGBT youth and the Foster Care System
Continuing education credits may be available.
- The Stories Project – MSSC collects stories in all media formats from LGBTQ youth and allies from across Mississippi. The stories are used in advocacy work to help policy makers relate to youth experiences.
- Online PDF Resources
- Organizational Directory
- Anti-bullying Policies of Mississippi – a comprehensive report from the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition regarding anti-bullying policies in the state.